Sweet Beef Curry
This is from Millmerran Camp Oven Cookbook. Cooked it at Swan Hill a couple of years ago.
Nice sweet curry thats suitable for even non curry eaters !
- 1/2 cup chopped raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1 apple peeled & chopped
- chunky 1 kg chuck or round steak chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon fruit chutney
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups beef stock
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 2 tablespoons water
Serve with rice
- 10 inch camp oven
- Heat oil in camp oven on good heat, add meat + salt & pepper & brown.
- Add onion & curry stir through.
- Add apple, raisins, dates, lemon rind, juice, sauces, chutney.
- Mix through then add stock & sugar.
- Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to a gentle simmer for 1.5 hours.
- Pop lid on.
- Mix cornflour & water together and stir in .
- Bring to just bubbling continually stirring.
- Pop lid on & very gently simmer while cooking rice.
- Stir regularly to prevent any sticking.
- Serve with rice & damper.
- This recipe could easily take another 500 grams of meat & another half of apple & feed 8 people .
- You may not need to thicken sauce but we like it thick & meat smothered with sauce.
Enjoy your cooking
Courtesy Lisa Turner