Self Saucing Caramel Pudding
This recipe is a Donna Hay recipe out of the newspaper.
Very nice with whipped or pouring cream & ice-cream.
- 10 inch camp oven or a cake tin in a 12 inch oven
- Large bowl
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 &1/2 cups SR flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 75 grams unsalted butter, chopped & melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- Icing sugar - about a tablespoon.
- Ingredients for Caramel 50 grams unsalted butter 1 & 1/2 cups brown sugar 1 & 1/2 cups water
- Grease your camp oven with some extra butter.
- Get ingredients measured & ready.
- Put on heatbeads.18 needed.
- While they are heating up prepare batter & caramel.
- Camp oven does not get prewarmed !!
- Place sugar, flour, milk & melted butter in bowl. Mix to combine well.
- Spoon mixture into cold lightly greased camp oven. Put to the side.
- To make caramel, place 50 gr of cubed butter, sugar & water in a small saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil,stirring constantly to dissolve sugar. About 3 - 5 minutes. Remove from heat & set aside to slightly cool. It is quite liquid still
- Pour the caramel over the back of a large spoon to drizzle over pudding mix.
- Cook for 35 - 40 minutes or until pudding is cooked thru. Should be golden brown finished.
- Dust with icing sugar through a sifter.
- Note: check at 20 minute mark & adjust top heat if needed. I used for 4 beads under camp oven & 13 on lid - I did add 2 more at 20 minute mark as it was a cold day.
Cooked and images courtesy Lisa Turner