- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 brown onion diced
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1 small eggplant, diced
- 1 baby fennel , thinly sliced
- 1 zuchinni, diced
- 1 red capsicum, sliced
- 200 gr Swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
- 200 gr beef mince crumbled
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian herbs(or mix up dried oregano, basil & thyme together )
- 140 gr tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 260 gr of berry tomato on vine or a punnet of sweet cherry tomatoes
- 250 gr pappardelle pasta
- Fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 2 - 3 tablespoons chopped parsley, to serve
- Warm 12/14 inch camp oven up to about 180 deg. Combine oil & garlic in a cup & pour in. Quick stir & pop lid on for a couple of minutes. Add all vegetables, mince & herbs and toss well to coat with hot garlicy oil. Bake for 30 minutes. Nice hot oven about 25 heatbeads on lid & lower heat under ( 8 - 10 beads). Stir at 15 minutes.
- Mix together tomato paste & beef stock in small jug. Stir into vege & mince mix in camp oven. Let it cook for 10 - 15 minutes. While its cooking, boil salted water for pasta. When you put pasta in boiling water; add fresh cherry tomatoes on vine on top of vege/mince mix. Top up lid heat to try & roast those tomatoes quick.
- Remove camp oven from heat & lift out tomatoes on a plate. Drain off pasta & stir thru the ragu. Serve onto plate & top with roasted tomato , sprinkle with parmesan cheese & parsley. Enjoy your meal
Note - I used a 11 inch camp oven. A 12 or 14 inch camp oven would work better. Adjust heat upwards from what I have indicated ( based on 12 inch ) reason behind this is the bigger ovens would produce less steaming & more roasting in the initial stages of cooking which gives a better depth of flavour for this dish.
Cooked and Pictures from our Camp Oven Queen Lisa Turner