Lemon Chicken Casserole
- 1/2 cup plain flour seasoned with 1 teaspoon salt & 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 6 chicken thigh cutlets skin on & bone in 6 chicken legs
- Olive oil
- 2 large brown onions, chopped
- 3 fat garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 large juicy lemons or 3 medium lemons
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- Chopped parsley to garnish with - about a 1/4 cup.
I served this with rice but damper, crusty bread or mashed potato would be good too.
- You will need 12 inch camp oven.
- Warm up camp oven so you can fry.
- Mix up flour salt & pepper. Coat chicken pieces well, with seasoned flour.
- Add about a good dash of olive oil to camp oven.
- Fry up floured chicken in 2 batches adding a dash of oil for second batch. Brown chicken on all sides.
- Remove the chicken & put aside.
- Add about 1 tablespoon of oil to camp oven & add onion & garlic stir for 3- 4 minutes until softened & fragrant.
- Pour in wine, stock with a quick stir after each.
- Add lemon rind & juice of lemons, stir. Bring to the boil then add chicken pieces & bay leaf. Cover with lid.
- I covered my lid with coals & had minimum heat from below.
- Bake for 1 - 1.5 hours.
- Stir twice so nothing is sticking to bottom . If it is, reduce bottom temperature further. Remove lid . And let chicken gently simmer uncovered for 20 - 30 mins to reduce sauce a little. Stir occasionally.
- Chicken should be just starting to fall off the bone when its cooked.
- Before serving sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve straight from camp oven.
Enjoy your cooking today.
Recipe and Images Courtesy Lisa Turner