Lamb Shanks in 5 Spice Tamarind and Ginger
12 or 14 inch oven
You could probably squeeze 8 shanks in a 12 inch but u will have to turn shanks more often. Great tasty dish for camping. Serve with rice & green vegies
- 2 teaspoons
- 5 – Spice Powder
- 2 teaspoons dried chilli flakes
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup Chinese cooking wine
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 8 cm fat piece of ginger grated
- 3 fat cloves of garlic
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 8 french trimmed lamb shanks
- 2 tbs of tamarind concentrate/ puree
- Dry fry 5 spice, Chilli, Cinnamon stick & Star anise in a small skillet or camp oven , until Fragrant.
- In a jug place soy, Chinese cooking wine, 2 table spoons of tamarind concentrate / puree, sugar , ginger garlic & water.
- Stir then add dry fried spices & stir again.
- Place shanks in a single layer into a cold camp oven (NOT preheated)
- Pour over spice mixture
- Roast in camp oven for 2.5 – 3.5 hrs
- Turning occasionally
- Roast until meat is almost falling off the bone
I’m doing 6 shanks in 2 x 12 inch camp ovens. I used full mix in each oven.
- Used 11 heatbeads under & 15 on lid.
- At 1 3/4 hour mark I removed dying heatbeads off lid & placed them under & put a fresh lot (15) on the lid. This maintained a good even heat. Place shanks on tray & cover with foil .
- Bring juices to a nice simmer by placing lid heatbeads under camp oven.
- Serve with rice & green vegies. I used fresh asparagus – heat cast iron skillet add a blob of butter – fried & added lemon juice. Blanch or steam vegies if you like.
- Once vegies are done tip simmered juices into a jug & pour over lamb shanks.
- You can skim fat off if you like & pick out cinnamon stick & star anise