Crisp 5 Spice Salt Pork Belly
- 1 kg piece of boneless pork belly, rind on
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons fine sea salt ( I used himaylayan salt)
- 1/2 Teaspoon chinese 5 spice powder
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 1 fresh small red thai chilli chopped finely
If you can get butcher to score pork rind diagonally at 5mm Pat pork rind dry with paper towels
- rub with combined salt, 5 spice & oil
- Place on a oiled wire rack & put in the fridge UNCOVERED for an hour
- Heat up camp oven to hot 12 under & 24.
- Sprinkle a little salt over & place in camp oven & roast for 1 hour.
You can then heat another camp oven up for your veges. To make up dipping sauce just mix together chopped chilli & soy sauce.
Use up leftover roast vegies. Just mix together with herb of choice - ( I used thyme) bit of crumbled feta, grated tasty cheese & make a rustic open tart. Used 2 sheets of puff pastry diamonded over. You can make individual open tarts or even roll them. When your camping - enjoy the process preparation & cooking and have fun feeding family and friends.
Recipe and Images by Lisa Turner