To skin peaches – bring water to boil. Mark a x on bottom of peach with a knife. Plunge peaches into boiling water. When the skin starts to peel back plunge into icy water. Just put ice cubes in water. When cool slip skins off. Cut in half remove seed & slice thickish pieces. Place into 6 cup capacity dish.
- Base 6 – 8 peaches
- 4 tbs caster sugar
- 1/2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp cornflour
- 1/2 tsp of almond extract or vanilla essence
- Place sliced peaches in a 9 inch square ovenproof dish. Add the rest of base ingredients & gently toss together. Your 12 inch camp oven should be hot enough by now. 7 briquettes under base & 22 on lid. This should give a temp of around 200 – 220. Place dish of peaches in camp oven & bake for about 15 – 20 minutes. Make the topping while this baking. If it all looks softened & juices thickened take it out early.
- 175 gr plain flour
- 115 gr caster sugar ( put 2 tbs to the side to sprinkle over topping )
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt 85 gr cold butter diced 1 egg
- 5 – 6 tbs milk
- Sift flour into bowl with the larger quantity of caster sugar, baking powder & salt . Add diced butter & rub in with fingertips till you have fine breadcrumb texture. Combine egg & 5 tbs milk in a cup or jug. Mix into dry ingredients with a fork until a soft sticky dough has formed. If it seems dry add the other tbs of milk. Remove peaches from oven & drop spoonfuls of topping over the top without smoothing. Sprinkle with remaining sugar return to camp oven . Bring 2 of briquettes from under to the top of lid. As basically peaches are pretty cooked & you want good heat on top to cook topping. Return dish to camp oven for a further 15 – 25 minutes or until topping is golden brown & firm.
Serves with icecream , whipped cream or custard. Serves 4 – 6 I use 8 medium peaches. Enjoy