Looks a little ugly but full of flavour. The pineapple gives it a bit of sweet & sour flavour.
Recipe out of Tastes of the Outback. Quick & easy.
I've cooked this on ozpig & today with heatbeads.
- 500 - 600 gr lean blade or stewing steak, cubed (about 1 inch)
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 3 - 4 stalks celery chopped 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 2 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 x 450g tin unsweetened pineapple pieces
- 1/2 cup brown vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
For this quantity you could use a 10 or 12 inch camp oven. Having your ingredients ready makes it easier.
- Heat camp oven
- Heat oil.
- Toss beef cubes into a bag along with flour, salt & pepper
- Fry off in 3 batches to brown.
- As cubes brown pop in a medium bowl & set aside.
- Reduce heat.
- Add ginger & onion & saute till transparent.
- Add celery, diced tomatoes, pineapple pieces.
- Then brown vinegar, soy sauce & sugar.
- Add meat back in. Bring to boil, stirring.
- Reduce heat & cover with lid.
- Simmer on very low heat for 90 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add a little water ( 1/4 cup) if needed.
- Serve with rice & green vegetables. Feeds 4.
Cooked by Lisa Turner