Curried Chicken with Cashews
- About 1.8 kg chicken cutlets - slashed across skin & flesh 3
- tablespoons ghee or oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 &1/2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder or paprika for the weak hearted!
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint or coriander
- 2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 cup yoghurt
- 125 gram or 150 gram pack raw cashews, finely ground.
- Slash pieces of chicken with a sharp knife so spices can penetrate meat while cooking.
- Heat ghee or oil in camp oven on a medium heat.
- Gently fry onion, garlic & ginger until soft & golden. Stirring occasionally. Over about 10 - 15 minutes.
- Add curry powder,chilli powder & stir for a minute. Add salt,,tomatoes, chopped mint & slowly cook to a pulp.
- Pop lid on & stir occasionally with wooden spoon. For about 20 minutes.
- Add chicken and stir around to coat with spicy tomato mix.
- Cover camp oven with foil & place lid on.
- The steam helps create this delicious sauce. Simmer on a very low heat for about 50 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Stir every 20 minutes scraping base & sides to prevent any sticking. Remove foil.
- Stir in garam masala & yoghurt. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cashews & gently heat through.
- Serve up with rice and sprinkle with extra shredded mint. Enjoy the aromas of this curry cooking.
Pics and Recipe courtesy Lisa Turner