A good recipe to do while camping. This is only my third attempt at bread. If I can do it anyone can!
1 x 12 inch camp oven 1 loaf tin - oiled.
- 2 cups flour - wallaby or lighthouse suitable for bread pizza dough.
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons wallaby bread improver
- 1 tablespoon milk powder
- 2 teaspoons(7 gr) dried yeast
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1&1/2 cups hot water. ( hot tap temperature)
- 1 tablespoon milk to glaze bread
- Mix all dry ingredients together
- Add oil & hot water, mix to a soft dough
- Cover loosely with plastic food wrap. Allow to stand for 20 - 30 minutes in a warm spot.
- Turn on to lightly floured surface and knead until just smooth
- Shape into loaf & place in oiled loaf pan.
- Brush top with water & stand in warm place until dough doubles in size. Pop a fly net over.
- Wait 15 minutes. Start getting heatbeads hot - 32 needed
- Place 8 under camp oven & 24 on lid. Give it a good 15 minutes to get to heat. You're aiming for 220/230 degrees
- Using a brush glaze bread with milk.
- Place in camp oven - no trivett as it will raise loaf & it will hit the lid & burn the top of your bread.
- Cook for 10 minutes then reduce the heatbeads underneath camp oven to 6.
- Give your lid & base a turn every now & then for even cooking.
- Check at 20 minute mark - loaf should be a light golden colour. Just peek .
- Continue cooking 30/ 35 total cook time. Bread will sound hollow when tapped.
- Cool in tin for 5 minutes then tip out onto cake rack. Cutting is easier with a serrated knife when loaf has cooled.
Most important - enjoy your cooking
Recipe and images courtesy Lisa Turner