- 6 - 8 pieces Beef ( around 1.3 kg)
- 1/3 cup plain flour seasoned with salt & pepper.
- 1/3 cup of plain or garlic infused olive oil
- 2 onions finely chppoed
- 3 sticks celery finely chopped
- 2 med carrots finely chopped
- 3 - 4 cloves of garlic crushed
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 level teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 level teaspoon dried basil
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 400 gr can diced tomatoes
- 1 & 1/2 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- While camp oven is warming. Place meat & seasoned flour in plastic bag.
- Warm half oil & fry floured meat for 3 - 5 minutes till evenly browned
- remove & set aside.
- Do this in 2 batches using oil as needed.
- Place onion, garlic, carrot, celery & cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, thyme & basil, stir for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in wine, canned tomatoes, bay leaves & beef stock.
- Bring to the boil.
- Then reduce heat to a simmer Stirring occasionally.
- On a gentle simmer for about 2 - 2.5 hours.
Serve suggestion with pasta & sprinkled with chopped parsley & grated lemon & chopped garlic gremolata. Or serve with a damper or bread. Enjoy
Pics & Recipe courtesy of our camp oven queen Lisa Turner